The Wejuk Files: In search of Big Foot

Part 4:

A group of amateur researchers are searching the north woods of Vermont and New York for a strange creature long thought to be extinct-known in folklore as Bigfoot or Sasquatch. In the North Country of New York, New England and Quebec, the creature is known by its regional Indian name, correctly spelled Wejuk (wee-juck)-not "Wejua" as it has appeared.

Bigfoot or Wejuk sightings are the focus of the Northern Sasquatch Research Society based in Hudson Falls, N.Y. Its members include Frank Siecienski of Hubbardton, Brian Gosselin of Whitehall, Cliff South of South Glens Falls, and John Pearson and Bill Brann of Glens Falls.

Former Whitehall police officer Brian Gosselin was an eyewitness to a now famous August 1976 Wejuk incident on Abair Road in Hampton, N.Y., near the Vermont state line, across from Fair Haven.

Gosselin has been featured on several television documentaries about Bigfoot or Wejuk.

We continue our multi-part interview with Gosselin and fellow NSRS researchers about Bigfoot sightings in our region:

L.V. Bigfoot and Yeti researchers around the word know you, Brian Gosselin. You were an eyewitness to a possible Wejuk event that occurred back in August 1976 in the Whitehall, N.Y. area. Can you please resume where we left off last week, in part 3 of the Wejua Files?

Gosselin: Here's what I recall: The thing was always standing on two legs. And it walked fast. People have asked me if it had a neck. I don't remember a neck. I remember turning on the spotlight and seeing those big red eyes and the hands that came up (to cover the face).

L.V.: Did you make out any facial features?

Gosselin: No, because its hands were up (in front of the face). You could see the hair on its head was long; heavy, coarse hair. I estimated its height as between 7.5 and 8 feet. Maybe it weighed 400 pounds. It covered 1,000 to 1,500 feet toward the woods quickly-then it turned around and howled three times (and disappeared into the woods). Following that I sat there for a good 15-20 minutes trying to collect my-well, collect everything you could possibly think of! It was an experience that you'd have to be there to understand. To this day, I have never said it was Bigfoot or Sasquatch. All I know is that it was not a bear and it was not a man in a monkey suit. Whatever it was, it was strange.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment