TICONDEROGA - Fort Ticonderoga opens for the 2010 season May 20 with a new exhibit.
"Pottery, Pork & Pigeons" is in the southeast corner of the Enlisted Men's Barracks and is the culmination of over 16 years' work by volunteer Frank Schlamp, adjunct assistant curator of archeology, and Chris Fox, curator of collection.
Schlamp, who is a retired DEC officer, took on the task of cleaning, cataloguing, and restoring years' worth of pottery shards and other small objects. The exhibit highlights the variety of ceramics and utensils used by the soldiers in their daily lives at Fort Ticonderoga. The exhibit also explores what was available to them for food illustrates this with bones from pigs, deer and passenger pigeons.
Also new in 2010 are two different tours based on the investigation by T.A.P.S. and seen on Ghost Hunters TV show.
A nighttime tour for small groups will be available most Friday and Saturday nights in July and August by reservation. It will take guests to areas of the fort not open to the public and explore the reported paranormal activity.
A daytime tour will be offered daily from the beginning of the season and will take guests to the more accessible areas where there have been reported sightings.
The King's Garden will open June 1.
The King's Garden is on fort grounds at the Pell estate. It dates to 1920 and is a brick-walled formal garden. Along with the fort it has been totally restored.
Fort Ticonderoga has been open to the public more than 100 years.
The fort played an important part in the founding of America. Built in 1755 by the French, the fort was captured by the British and Provincial forces in 1759 during the French & Indian War.
It was here in 1775 that Ethan Allen captured it from the British; the first victory of the American Revolution. It was cannon from Fort Ticonderoga that Colonel Knox hauled to Boston for George Washington's Army. The British evacuated Boston as a result.
Costumed interpreters demonstrate artillery and other skills. The Fort Ti Fife & Drum Corps plays daily in July and August.
The fort is open 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. For information call 585-2821.
A full calendar of events, including re-enactments, can be found at www.FortTiconderoga.org