The train left Warrensburgh at 7 a.m. the next day for Fort Edward, running back to Thurman Station and then to Saratoga Springs. Over night the Trojan party was banqueted at the Rockwell House in Glens Falls.
(Note...The Empire Shirt Company was in the building where Lizzie Keays restaurant is now located. The train tracks from Thurman Station to that location were there for many years before they were finally taken up 20 years ago or so. The landmark mansard-roofed Rockwell House, Glens Falls' largest hotel, burned many years ago. It had been built by the two sons of hotelman George T. Rockwell on the west side of Glen St.)
Lake George now welcoming tourists
The Lake George season opened May 2, 1910, looking forward to a record breaking summer. The steamer Mohican, with Captain Wesley Finkle, 68, in command, runs daily except Sunday from Baldwin to Lake George Village and returns. Captain Finkle has been in the employ of the Champlain Transportation Co. for 36 years and has been on the waters of Lake George since boyhood. On May 30, 1910 the regular line boats will be in commission for the season.
In other news, Minard G. Wood, 74, died Thursday, April 28, 1910 at his home on Ripley Point, Lake George. He was the brother of Mrs. Reuben Ripley.
Horror in the South Seas
News has been received that the Rev. Horatio Hopkins and his assistant, the Rev. Hector Laurie McPherson, missionaries of the Presbyterian Church on Savage Island in the South Seas, which was annexed by Great Britain in 1899, on Feb. 5, 1910 were killed and eaten by cannibals.
The new iron fence around the Baptist Church lot in Bolton Landing is nearly completed and it is a substantial-looking arrangement.
In North Creek John Anderson Jr. has a gang of men building shacks for the men to sleep in who work on the state road from the river bridge to Minerva. They will be ready to throw dirt in about a week.