VERGENNES - The Lake Champlain Maritime Museum has officially opened the doors of its newest exhibit building, the Hazelett Watercraft Center.
The centerpiece of this exhibit is the 35 foot long, 1902 ice yacht Storm King, given to the museum by William (Bill) and Dawn Hazelett. It's a great place to visit in a summer heat wave - cool and comfortable, Storm King towers above a two-story array of dugout and bark canoes, kayaks, rowing skiffs, and sail boats from the LCMM collection, and digital displays of vintage postcards and film footage of ice boats in action.
"We can't find enough words to thank Bill and Dawn Hazelett and their family for their generosity," commented LCMM director Art Cohn. "What a great way to celebrate the museum's twenty-fifth season. The Hazelett Watercraft Center fulfills a long-cherished vision of a facility at the Maritime Museum that celebrates the lake's legacy of wooden watercraft and their makers, and the sport of iceboating."
The Lake Champlain Maritime Museum, 4472 Basin Harbor Road, is open daily from 10-5 p.m., late May through mid-October.
Find out more at www.lcmm.org or call 802-475-2022.