Through its 200 years, Caldwell Church has been influential in local education and culture.
The first library in Lake George was organized as part of the Caldwell church, and it remained such a center of public information until the present library was completed.
Also, the area's first Kindergarten was held at Caldwell Presbyterian, until the program was taken over by the Lake George Board of Education. In more recent years, the church's preschool program has continued to assist youngsters in their readiness for formal education.
Although the negative economic effects of the Civil War stressed the church's finances, and an 1866 tornado damaged the church steeple, the reunification of two factions of the Presbyterian Church in 1869 prompted financial gifts from summer visitors to relieve the hardship. Due to the new financial footing, the church was able to hire its first full-time pastor, Rev. James Lamb, in 1870.
As Caldwell Presbyterian's centennial approached, an addition was constructed, the sanctuary was refurbished, and the free public library was established. Church membership grew from an average of about 30 to 100 or so.
This strength in membership and finances allowed the church to support local missions at French Mountain and Bay Road.
To this day, the church has maintained its spiritual dedication, inclusiveness and welcoming spirit that has deep roots in its founding 200 years ago.
- based on a history of Caldwell Presbyterian by Jeff Brozyna.