The American Legion was chartered by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic, mutual - help, war time veterans organization. A community service organization which now numbers nearly 3 million members, men and women in nearly 15,000 American Legion Posts worldwide.
The American Legion's national headquarters is in Indianapolis, Ind., with additional offices in Washington, D.C. In addition to thousands of volunteers serving in leadership and program implementation capacities in local communities to the legion's standing national commissions and committees, the national organization has a regular full time staff of about 300 employees.
Ticonderoga American Legion Post # 224 was founded after WWI. It has been organizing Memorial Day celebrations since 1921. In 1927, they had an expert rifle team and in 1931 were instrumental in organizing the Ti American Legion Band; a community band with Dr. G. Peter Cook as leader.
For many years they had an undefeated basketball team. Clifford Tobin was one of the active commanders during those years.
The American Legion Auxiliary was established in Ticonderoga in 1919 to support the American Legion. Each year the women distribute poppys, the memorial flower made by the veterans. They organize fund raisers, card parties and food sales to purchase Christmas gifts for soldiers.
The general mission of the auxiliary is : to support the American Legion programs for veterans, young people, and community; to provide for today's needs while being advocates for a brighter future; to advance the understanding of patriotism and responsibility of citizenship; to promote individual integrity and family values; to ensure as volunteers, that auxiliary members continue to be the leaders in all that is good in this nation today, tomorrow and for generations to come through serving others first and not self.
This series of articles is compliments of Ticonderoga Heritage Museum, located in the 1888 building at the entrance of Bicentennial Park.