Teacher mourns her sister

Miss Marietta J. Searles, of Schaghticoke, was burned to death at her father's home there on Feb. 14, 1910 in a fire that totally destroyed the house. The fire started in her room from an overheated stove which before its discovery had so far advanced that it was impossible to save her life.

She was a sister of Miss Lillian Searles of Chestertown, who is teaching school in the White Schoolhouse there about two miles out of the village.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment