• Talk about HIV with sex partners and get tested regularly for HIV and sexually transmitted infections.
• Fewer sexual partners reduces risk of infection.
• Use condoms every time you have sex.
• Women who are pregnant should get tested for HIV early in pregnancy. One test can save two lives.
• If you have any ongoing risk of exposure to HIV, get tested at least once a year.
• If you have HIV, take your medications as prescribed to reduce the chance of spreading HIV and get regular medical care.
Wondering where you can turn?
The following agencies can provide a confidential HIV test. Condoms and advice about how to avoid the spread of HIV infection are also provided.
• AIDS Council of Northeastern New York - 563-2437
• Clinton County Health Department (can provide anonymous testing) - 565-4848
• Northern Adirondack Planned Parenthood - 561-4430.