Telephone company changes hands
Ray Rooney has sold his local and independent telephone line, operating in Warrensburgh, to the New York Telephone Co. who will take over Sept. 1, 1910. The local system in town was established 13 years ago by George W. Davison. He had about 25 instruments (telephones) on a circuit in the village when he disposed of the business seven years ago to Mr. Rooney. The local line numbers 160 phones at present and the service is satisfactory.
The central office will be located in the Wills' block and in charge will be Miss Ethel Rooney with Miss Jessie Smith as an assistant. Mr. Rooney will move to James Street.
(Note...The "Wills' block" was the stone building, just north of Grace's Tavern on Hudson Street, that was once a livery business. Primitive phone service was launched in the late 1800s in New York City, although centralized service arrived in the 1920s, so 1910 is relatively early for phone communication.)
Intoxicated woman unable to plea
For making a "rough house" at the Warrensburgh home of her brother, William Coe in Lewisville (River St. section), Mrs. William Warner, of Glens Falls, was arrested by Deputy Sheriff Robert Cunningham on Aug. 19, 1910 on complaint of a neighbor and arraigned before Justice George Hodgson. Owing to the muddled condition of her think works, caused by over-indulgence in exhilarating liquids, she was unable to plead to the charge of being drunk and disorderly and the judge sent her to jail for the night, The next day she was given the choice of paying a $10 fine or returning to the county bastille for ten days.
Town team trounces opponents
The Warrensburgh Maplewoods baseball team came within one of handing a goose egg to the Glens Falls Mohawks, o at their game on the local fairground Saturday afternoon, Aug. 20, 1910, trimming them by a scored of 20 to 1. For Warrensburgh, Stewart "Toot" Farrar held the visitors down to two hits.