Upon Albert C. Emerson's death in 1888 - reportedly after a contentious school board meeting - Louis W. Emerson, known as "L.W," succeeded him, and James A. became vice president and cashier.
In 1908, the bank was issued a national bank charter, and the name was changed to Emerson National Bank.
Construction started on the present bank in 1926, and the bank moved into the building in 1927. Delbert E. Pasco was the bank's first customer in the new building.
Albert L. Emerson, director and cashier of the bank since 1924, became president in 1936, a post held until his death in 1963.
The son of James A. and Margaret Emerson, he was a native of Warrensburg and he attended the local schools. After graduating from Warrensburgh High School, he attended Dartmouth College, returned to Warrensburg and became influential regionally in commerce.
He was associated with the Leland House, a resort on Schroon Lake, and was later owner of the Colonial Arms Hotel, as well as serving as director and vice president of Imperial Color Chemical & Paper Corp., for many years a leading industrial enterprise in Glens Falls.
Albert L. Emerson was also a principal of the firm A.C. Emerson & Co., leading regional distributors of gasoline and fuel oil, and dealers in lumber and building supplies.
After Albert L. died in 1963, Howard Savage of Johnsburg, then vice president, was elected to as president to succeed Emerson.
Emerson's widow, Zenna Bonnie Emerson, was elected to her late husband's position as a bank director, a post she served for 16 years. Later, in the 1950s and 1960s, she owned and operated the Bonnie View Resort on Lake George, and served on the advisory board of the State Bank of Albany, which in 1967 acquired the Emerson National Bank. At that time, the Emerson bank was two branches, its headquarters in Warrensburg, and its Luzerne branch, which it had acquired in 1958 when it bought the Luzerne-Hadley Bank. Bonnie Emerson died in 2005.