Quantcast

The Outlook On Local History

We wonder how many "olde timers" might remember this church, its location, and what happened to it.

In 1875, the Methodist Episcopal Society of Ludlow, an active group in Ludlow since the late 1700's, felt they had sufficient members to build a church. They had been traveling to Andover and later Proctorsville for service. They purchased the land for $1200 and constructed the church for $7200. Expecting an increase in members, the church was built to hold 300 people. By 1899 there were 135 church members and 110 children in sunday school. However, the membership did not grow beyond this and in 1930 the Methodist Church joined with the Congregational Church to become the United Church of Ludlow.

As services and most church activities were held in the other church, in 1948 the United Church sold this building to the Ludlow Masons Association. In 1954 the Masons removed the steeple and in 1986 sold the building to the Gassetts Group. In 1987 the Gassetts Group converted it into four individually owned townhouses.

0
Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment