Quantcast

Recognizing

The 400th anniversary of Samuel de Champlain's discovery of the lake that bears his name was celebrated as the town of Crown Point hosted a rededication of its renovated Champlain Memorial Lighthouse Sept. 19. The rededication was considered to be the highlight event of this year's Hudson-Fulton-Champlain Quadricentennial celebration, which also recognizes explorer Henry Hudson and engineer and inventor Robert Fulton. A bust by French sculptor Auguste Rodin adorns the front of the lighthouse, and was a gift to the people of the Champlain Valley from France when the lighthouse was originally dedicated. It was built in 1858 and converted into a monument to the French explorer and dedicated in 1912. The work by Rodin, called "La France," was recently removed, restored and replaced on the lighthouse with enhanced security measures. It was part of a $2 million renovation project at the lighthouse and adjacent pier. The dignitaries in attendance for the rededication included Vermont state Gov. James H. Douglas, right, and New York State Environmental Conservation Commissioner Alexander B. "Pete" Grannis, at left. The two are seen signing the international proclamation rededicating the lighthouse. Pierre Vimont, Ambassador of France to the United States, not pictured, also signed the compact.

0
Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment