Historic Collins House purchased
W.H. Kelley of Glens Falls has purchased the Collins House, the big hotel at Stony Creek, and took possession Aug. 30, 1909. He is an experienced hotel man and will remodel and refit the Collins House throughout. The establishment can accommodate 30 guests and it incorporates a livery. Hunting parties will be catered to and fed good meals this fall. (Note - Landlord Collins leased the Collins House for several years and bought it in January, 1904. In July that year the Tannery Pond dam gave way and the rushing water knocked out the supports of the building and slid it into the Roaring Branch stream, "the front of the house being crushed like an eggshell." Local residents who were sharpshooters saw lamps burning in the building and shot the lights out to prevent fire. The water took away furniture, dishes and hotel paraphernalia and deposited the debris for miles along the shore of the swollen creek.
Collins rebuilt and opened his "new hotel" in January, 1905. Years later this old hotel, at Hadley and Roaring Branch Roads, became the Stony Creek Inn. In 1916, owner John H. Arehart built an addition and enlarged the inn. It is exists today, and includes a restaurant operation.
The perfect wife
"When the bread is perfectly baked, the coffee strong and hot, the steak juicy and fragrant, the hash well built and appetizing and the batter-cakes light and smoking as the melting butter is absorbed, the spirit of the Lord descends upon the household like a dove and the caverns of the lucky man's soul echo with 'Glory Hallelujah!' The girl who can cook is a divinity. She is the delight of a man's soul."
William D. Combs and Miss Alice Baker, both of Thurman, were quietly married on the evening of July 28, 1909 at the residence of Sanford Truesdale, by the Rev. William Bills.