At the close of the Civil War, around 1865, additional land was donated for cemetery expansion by Merritt Clark; he donated five acres of land to the association which had officially formed at that time. Clark was founder of Poultney Bank in 1841. The bank was located inside Clark's home that stood at the corner of Beaman Street (it's now known as the Stonebridge property. Clark was also president of the Rutland and Washington Railroad incorporated in 1847).
Clarks's achievements and contributions were legendary.
Expansion of the Poultney Cemetery Association property was well underway during the late 1900s; acquisition of land on its northeast boundary expanded the site.
For years, the Poultney Cemetery was commonly referred to as the Protestant cemetery of the community-it is the largest cemetery in the township resting Protestants of many denominations. It also is the final resting place of the greatest numbers of Poultney's Welsh citizens.
From its entrance from the east side of Beaman Street, the cemetery extends to land at the top of the hillside overlooking the Poultney community (where it abuts to St. Raphael's Catholic Cemetery property, a cemetery owned by St. Raphael's Catholic parish). At this juncture, the roadways within Poultney Cemetery Association's property and St. Raphael's Catholic Cemetery now intersect. For many years, a fence entirely separated the two cemeteries.
The current officers of the Poultney Cemetery Association are Lynn McGann, president, Patricia H. Davenport, secretary/treasurer and directors James Dente, Greg Howard, Emmett Thomas, D. Trevor Hughes, Ethel Contratti and Charlotte Hampl. To volunteer or to get involved in helping Poultney's historic cemetery, contact the Poultney Cemetery Association, P.O. Box 63, Poultney 05764-0063 or call Lynn McGann at 518-282-9676.