Speaking of the 17th annual Schroon Lake Fishing Derby, some dandy fish were weighed in this year by the 554 contestants who turned out.
Here is a rundown of the results:
• Northern pike: first place, Jim Duntley (11.17 lbs.); second place, Ted Meade (10.46 lbs.) and third place Billy Taylor (9.64 lbs.)
• Lake Trout: first place, Carter Hart (10.81 lbs.); second place, C.J. Prosser (6.90 lbs.) and third place, Keith Sheerer (6.28 lbs.)
• Salmon: first place, Robert Vogel (3.55 lbs.); second place, Billy Taylor (3.16 lbs.)
• Perch: Joe Knizek (1.40 lbs.)
• Pickerel: Judy Harrington (3.10 lbs.)
The pack basket raffle was won by Dennis Furushima; a Carhart jacket was won by David Vermculen; and a second Carhart jacket was won by Jennifer Knapp. The ice auger raffle was won by David Johnson. Hourly door prizes were drawn both days and also presented to the winning anglers. The members of the Schroon Lake Fish & Game Club said they would like to thank all participants, all who donated toward the prizes, and all the volunteers who made the weekend such a success.
John Gereau is managing editor of Denton Publications and an avid outdoorsman. His column appears weekly