In 1926 the N.Y.S.Historical Society named the Hancock House as its state headquarters. This impressive building was erected that year by Horace Moses as a gift to his home town. He was confident that it would insure that the state headquarters would remain in Ticonderoga. This would prove to be untrue.
The building is an exact replica of the colonial home of John Hancock on Beacon Hill in Boston, Mass. An endowment fund of $100,000 was also presented by Mr. Moses. The Ticonderoga Historical Society remains active today and continues to maintain the Hancock House at Moses Circle.
This series of articles is compliments of Ticonderoga Heritage Museum, located in the 1888 building at the entrance of Bicentennial Park.