Quantcast

Community coming together to help fire victims

MORRISONVILLE - In the wake of the March 11 fire which destroyed the home of Mark and Heather Kiroy, the community is coming together to help the family in its hour of need.

Morrisonville Elementary School is among those collecting monetary donations and other items for the Kiroy family who were displaced last week after their barbecue grill caught fire, ultimately decimating their two-story home. Though the family has insurance, the majority of their worldly possessions are gone, leading the school to want to help.

The school's collection drive began when students in Amanda Senecal's first-grade class asked how they could help the Kiroys - who have children ages 11, 7 and 3 - after learning of the fire.

"It was just a spur of the moment sort of thing," said Senecal. "My kids wanted to know if they needed any clothes or toys and things like that. We found that the family could probably better use monetary donations to get the things they need."

In the past week, students and faculty members have been bringing contributions for the Kiroys to the school's main office, hoping to make a difference.

"We welcome anyone to bring donations to the ladies in the office and appreciate anything they can do," said Senecal.

In addition to the school's efforts, the Plattsburgh Kiwanis Breakfast Club will hold a benefit for the Kiroys at Cocktails in Morrisonville Sunday, April 26, from 12-5 p.m.

According to club member and event organizer Bonnie H. Fenwick, the club first came to know the Kiroys when Heather Kiroy visited their booth at a volunteer fair held at the school in January. It was there, said Fenwick, Heather Kiroy offered to help the club volunteer at the soup kitchen at Trinity Episcopal Church in Plattsburgh.

"Unfortunately when she arrived our kitchen was filled with our club members and volunteers from the Plattsburgh High School Key Club," said Fenwick. "We thanked her for coming and told her we would get in touch when we had another community project. Well, unfortunately as fate would have it, their home burned."

0
Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment