Emerson Bank Celebrates Anniversary
The 75th birthday of the Emerson National Bank was not a private affair of the bank's officers, directors and staff, it was an occasion of pride for all people that live in Warrensburg.
On March 7, 1959 the bank held an open house to celebrate and also to show off the new extensive remodeling and redecorating job done on the bank's quarters. In place of the old fashioned teller's cages, modern counters were built. The cubicles of the bank's officers were eliminated and they now sat at desks along one side of the spacious lobby. Deep carpets, extending from wall to wall were added and new modern furniture, draperies and furnishings modernized the appearance of the main lobby. Two new teller windows and a night depository were installed. A special section of the Warrensburg News was devoted exclusively to the history of this grand institution.
The Early Days
The first offices of the bank were in the old stone building at the intersection of Hudson, Elm and Main Streets when it was founded in 1884 by Albert C. Emerson and his sons, Louis W, and James A. Emerson. Before that time there were no banking facilities closer than Glens Falls. A few years later it was moved to quarters in what was than the Adirondack Hotel (now Rite Aid site). There was a bad fire there on Jan. 31, 1889 and all that was left of the building was the bank vault rising above the ashes.
Albert C. Emerson died March 12, 1888 after a fiery confrontational school board meeting and he was succeeded in the presidency by his son, Louis Emerson. Albert C. Emerson was described as "a man of sterling worth." In 1908 Emerson and Company Bankers received a charter as a national bank from the Treasury Department of the US and became known as the Emerson National Bank of Warrensburgh. Directors were James M. Somerville, Milton N. Eldridge and Louis E. Reoux. James Emerson was vice president and cashier. He died in 1922.