Fort Ticonderoga, site of America's first victory in the Revolutionary War, is one of the region's top tourist attractions.
The fort, which features a restored 18th century fort and a museum with more than 30,000 artifacts, drew more than 86,000 visitors last summer.
Besides its regular exhibits, the fort annual hosts several special events such has the recent French & Indian War encampment.
The 2,000-acre not-for-profit historic site also includes the Log House Restaurant and Museum Store, the Thompson-Pell Research Center that houses the administrative offices and the research library with over 13,000 rare books and manuscripts, the Pavilion, which is slated for future restoration, and the King's Garden at Fort Ticonderoga, the 18th-century garrison garden, a children's garden and the Native American garden.
Interpreters in period uniforms tell the story of the fort throughout the day. Weather permitting, they will offer a musket demonstration. In July and August (weather permitting) artillery demonstrations occur daily and the Fife & Drum Corps entertains with martial music.
Fort Ticonderoga offers numerous education programs, lectures, symposia, and reenactment. More than 7,000 school-age children receive education programs both at the fort and in area schools.
Fort Ticonderoga was built by the French from 1755-1759 and called Fort Carillon, located above the narrow choke-point between Lake Champlain and Lake George, which controlled the major north-south inland water "highway" during the 18th century. Due to this strategic location the fort was the "key to the continent" as the superpowers of the 18th century, the French and the British, contested for empire in North America. On July 8, 1758, the fort was successfully defended by French forces under the command of the Marquis de Montcalm despite overwhelming British forces led by General Abercrombie. This was France's greatest victory in the Seven Years' War and a humiliating and devastating defeat for the British. The following year, the British did defeat the French at Fort Carillon under General Amherst.