Officials say

"We're waiting for further guidance from the [Department of Homeland Security], but we'll be in the informed compliance stage until further direction," he said.

Corsaro also noted children younger than 16 years old are still able to travel across both sides of the border with a valid birth certificate when traveling with their family. Children ages 16-19 traveling with organizations such as school groups are also able to present only a valid birth certificate when crossing, he added.

According to Clinton County Clerk John H. Zurlo, the average wait time for a passport or passport card once an application has been filed is about four to six weeks. The amount of time it takes to receive an enhanced driver license is about 10 days.

The Clinton County Clerk's office has processed more than 3,000 applications for enhanced driver licenses, commonly referred to as EDLs, since being first made available last September.

For more information regarding enhanced driver licenses or other documentation available for crossing the border, contact the Clinton County Clerk's office at 565-4700 or visit www.nydmv.state.ny.us/edl.htm.

The Customs and Border Protection Web site, www.cbp.gov, and WHTI Web site, www.getyouhome.gov, also have information about cross-border travel requirements and how to obtain necessary documentation.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment