The facilities of the Schroon River Pulp and Paper Company are to be increased by the building of a new dam to replace the present log structure, which has about reached the limit of usefulness. The new dam will be of concrete and will have a 180-foot spillway. The foundation will be 20 feet wide with an apron extending down to the river from 20 to 40 feet. This wall of masonry will be built about 50 feet below the present dam to keep back the flow of water. A concrete flume 100 feet long will be built to furnish an artificial channel for the water that drives the mill's wheels.
Twenty-seven Italian workers have arrived on July 12, 1909 to start the work on the dam. (Note: The Schroon River Pulp and Paper Company was incorporated in 1892 on the Schroon River between Warrensburgh and Thurman and employed 50 men. At a later time it called Warrensburgh Board and Paper Company. The paper mill provided many good jobs for countless men over the years. Today the buildings are gone after they fell into disrepair and were torn down in the 1990s by order of the town board . The dam built in 1909 has since been replaced with a new modern version.)
Leland House upgraded
The Papoose, a trim and speedy pleasure yacht which has plied the waters of Lake George for a number of seasons and which is owned by Hon. Louis W. Emerson and his brother, Senator James A. Emerson of Warrensburgh, was hauled to the foot of Schroon Lake on June 26, 1909 and has now been added to the Leland House boat fleet. (Note: the Leland House, a three-story frame building, sitting on six acres of beautiful park land and with its massive 346- foot-long piazza overlooking the lake, was owned by the Emerson brothers for 21 years until it burned in 1914. The rates were $3 to $4 a day or $17.50 to $25 a week and the hotel capacity was 300 guests. A fleet of yachts, sail and rowboats plied the waters to delight the gaze of the wealthy rocking chair guests. W.G. Leland was the original owner and manager.)