After the marriage of her daughter, Mrs. Clara D. Cornell, she lived with her on Belvidere Hill with her. She is also survived by a son, William R. Dodge. Her remains were brought to Warrensburgh for internment. The funeral was held at the family home, now the residence of the Fred R. King family.
Richards family was prominent
While William Bond is credited with founding Warrensburgh shortly after the American Revolution, no early settler stands out in our town's early history like Pelatiah Richards. His ancestor, Thomas Richards, born in the year 1600, immigrated from England to the American colonies in 1633.
Pelatiah was born in Connecticut in 1786, the son of Pelatiah and Abigail Barber Richards and the family later settled in the frontier wilderness of Schroon Lake, NY. Pelatiah and his brother, Edmund Richards came in 1802 to this remote area, known in those days as "The Bridge." It wasn't until 1813 when the area was christened as a town that it was named "Warrensburgh."
Pelatiah was an ensign in Colonel Cook's regiment in the War of 1812. He first married Sally Wheeler, the daughter of Phinehas and Mary Wheeler. She died in 1829 and left her daughter Aurelia, 17, to raise her six younger children. Sally is buried in the back of the East side of the Warrensburgh Cemetery and historians have puzzled over her gravestone which says she was Pelatiah's "consort," while his next spouse, Polly is called "wife."
Edmund Richards ran a distillery where Rite Aid is now located and Pelatiah built his palatial home at what is now the north end of the Grand Union parking lot. When Aurelia died in 1909, the house was owned by Pelatiah's grandson, Fred King. The grand old man was 70 when he died in 1870. His and Polly's son, General Samuel T. Richards, married into the prestigious Burhans banking family in Warrensburgh and was killed in 1871 in the Civil War - charging the enemy with sword held high, according to his gravestone.