Quantcast

50 years ago, January, 1959

An Adirondack committee was formed Jan. 10, 1959 in Pottersville comprised of representatives of Adirondack communities and organizations to promote building the Northway through the Adirondacks. Roger Tully of Saranac Lake, co-publisher of the Adirondack Daily Enterprise, was elected chairman and Harold Zenger of Glens Falls is secretary. Fred DeVries, chairman of the Warrensburg Chamber of Commerce, is an active member.

The committee was organized because of the intensive opposition by outside preservation groups to penetration of this tiny fraction of the Forest Preserve. The proposed Adirondack Northway would take about 400 acres or less than 2/100ths of one percent of the Adirondack Forest Preserve.

Two proposals are now under consideration: a 98.6 mile route would run from Albany, east of Schroon Lake to the Canadian border and would cost approximately $109 million. The federal government would pay 90 percent of the costs and the state would pay the remaining 10 percent. A 99.7-mile Lake Champlain route would cost approximately $125 million. (The Northway, which was completed and opened to traffic in 1967, was named in its debut year as America's Most Beautiful Highway by Parade Magazine. The route chosen for the Northway runs west of Schroon Lake, connecting Albany with Plattsburgh, stretching north to the Canadian border, south of Montreal.)

Supervisor Earl Persons of Horicon urged the people of Warren County to close their ears to "outsiders" and to decide for themselves this matter which will so greatly affect the future prosperity of our area.

In other news, Governor Rockefeller has openly expressed his determination to increase taxes sufficiently to meet an anticipated $230 million deficit in the state's budget.

Failed to crack supermarket safe

A group of men broke into the Grand Union store in Warrensburg and were forced to depart empty-handed after a vain effort to open the sturdy little safe, which according to manager George Whitford, contained over $1,000. They were unable to punch or rip open the door, jimmy off the combination or tear off the rear covering. Police believe the attempted theft occurred Saturday night Jan. 24, 1959 but was not discovered until Monday morning. Unable to get through the back door, the burglars smashed in the front door to make their entrance. None of the goods on the shelves were taken according to police.

0
Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment