The Van Werts Jeff and Chatti were also instrumental in seeking a sewer grant for 9N-74. Through their efforts a $750,000 grant was secured through Small Cities for Economic Development grant submitted by the Industrial Development Agency, Dedrick noted.
Howe, a retired attorney, assisted by Chooch DeChame, wrote a Mainstreet grant for $125,000 and spent hours promoting downtown Ti, Dedrick said.
"Brick also secured a grant for $20,000 from Councilors of Real Estate, in which he was a member, to hire a professional planner Brandy Saxton to work with a committee to develop a comprehensive master plan," the supervisor said. "Thanks to Brick's dedication and determination, and the work of the committee, the town now has an updated comprehensive plan at no cost to the taxpayers.
"One part of Brick's overall plan to revitalize the downtown was to resurrect the Ticonderoga Sentinel," Dedrick added. "He worked hours trying to edit each story as well as labor tirelessly on laying out the format for each page. The Sentinel now is a mainstay of the Mainstreet program thanks to the efforts of Kim Rielly employed by the Credit Union.
Thanks to Van Wert, Howe and other volunteers, the Ticonderoga Mainstreet Partnership has been a success, Dedrick said.
He cited those accomplishments as:
- Indulge (Roxie's) has relocated and has a completely new interior and exterior facade;
- Northwood Wellness, physical and occupational therapy has opened for business where Doc's video was once housed;
- Country Florist refurbished an apartment building on the corner of Wiley and Montcalm;
- Sugar and Spice gift shop is open for business in the LaChute Square;
- Adirondack Hair Creations has opened next to the Corner Caf ;
- the Agway Building has a new, reinforced awning as well as structural and roof improvements;
- the House of Pizza, Montcalm Liquor and Olde Mill Caf have utilized New York State Main Street grants from PRIDE, along with their own matching funds, to make exterior improvements and the Burleigh House who got new second floor windows;