Behind the rock, up on the hill at what is now the end of Rosalie Ave., was a two-story log blockhouse with portholes, a little fortified structure to protect guards who were on the watch for Indian attacks. No trace of it remains today. The Algonquins, affiliated with the Mohawk tribe of Native Americans, held possession and power over this area in the late 1700s, peaking in their influence at about 1775.
The Algonquins maintained a trail from Lake George near Bolton to the entrance of what is now Warrensburg, over which they carried their canoes in order to travel on the Schroon River and then south on the Hudson River. According to author Marie Fisher, the Indian word for the confluence of the Schroon and the Hudson was Teohoken. By 1786, there were seven families living in Warrensburgh, the new town on the Schroon River.
Every new settlement needs a tavern, and James Pitts came in 1789 to build one on the site of the present day Stewart's Shoppe. Uptown, a school stood near the present Methodist Church, the only school for many miles around.
The first town cemetery was also located near the Methodist Church. One person buried there was Dr. Zephaniah Tubbs, who died Jan. 29, 1835. His son, Dr. Nathan Tubbs practiced medicine in Warrensburgh. Zephaniah was supposedly dug up around 1895 when the cemetery was moved and his gravestone is today leaning up against a pine tree on the north side of the Warrensburg Cemetery. The tree has grown around it over the years and has nearly swallowed it. Perhaps, however, the doctor's bones still lie under the parking lot of the Methodist Church.
In 1804 James Warren came to town with his wife, Melinda (Beach) Warren and their three-year-old son, Nelson. James Warren operated a potash factory or "ashery" where George Henry's pub is now located, and he ran the town's first mercantile store next door north, where Main St. now intersects with Water St.