Quantcast

Encampment scheduled for this weekend at CP Historic Site

The ruins are among the very few remaining examples of pre-Revolutionary military construction in the United States and both fort ruins have been designated as registered "National Historic Landmarks" by the U.S. Department of the Interior, noting that the "Crown Point fort, in its ruined but unaltered state, is probably the finest existing architectural and archeological type specimen of a superior example of 18th century military engineering anywhere in the United States."

In 1734, Chaussegros de Lery, the king's engineer in New France, completed drawings for Fort St. Fr d ric and 1734 was the year that construction began on Fort St. Fr d ric, the towering stone fortification at Crown Point. The year 2009 marks the 275th anniversary those 1734 accomplishments.

Of course mid-summer 2009 is the 250th anniversary of the major French and Indian War events of 1759 here. Locally, the French, when outnumbered on Lake Champlain by an advancing British force of 12,000 men, withdrew from Lake Champlain to defend Montr al. The French civilian population at Crown Point was evacuated. The French military blew up their tower redoubt and their fortified grist mill at Crown Point and departed that strategic location on what happened to be the 150th anniversary of Samuel de Champlain's July 30, 1609 battle that was fought "at the extremity of a cape which extends into the lake on the western bank."

The British took possession of the Crown Point area only days later on August 4, 1759. In an effort to secure the British hold on the Champlain Valley, British General Amherst ordered the immediate 1) construction of a fleet of military ships that included the sloop Boscawen, the brig Duke of Cumberland, the radeau Ligonier, and numerous bateaux, and 2) simultaneous construction of a vast British fort at Crown Point that mounted 104 cannon and was designed to accommodate 4,000 men and which included extensive new outer works (including three redoubts and three blockhouses) and 3) construction of the 20' wide, 77-mile-long 1759 "Crown Point Road," which crossed the Green Mountains to provide and overland connection between Crown Point and the Connecticut River.

For more information about the site, the public may contact Crown Point State Historic Site at 518-597-4666 or at 21 Grandview Drive, Crown Point NY 12928; and for more information about State Parks and Historic Sites, please visit the agency's web site at www.nysparks.com.

0
Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment