Shirt factory to reopen
The Warrensburg Shirt Factory is expected to be in operation by May 1, 1959. The building, owned by Albert L. Emerson, will be leased and the business of manufacturing high quality men's shirts will operate under the title of Warrensburg Manufacturing Company. The new owners are represented by H.L. Feiner & Associates. The factory has been shut down since June of 1958 and this has been a blow to the local economy. The final papers were signed April 2, 1959 and the building is the scene of great activity as workmen, under the direction of manager Wilmer Knorr, prepare to receive a large shipment of new machinery. Warrensburg citizens and businesses strongly support the venture and there is a drive on to raise $1,500 to install storm windows on the factory building which is part of the deal. Chamber of Commerce President Fred DeVries has worked tirelessly to see the factory reopened.
(The shirt factory later became the dress factory, which hosted the famed Outlet Barn factory outlet retail store on the first floor - shoppers could routinely hear the whirr of the local seamstresses at work upstairs on their sewing machines as they shopped. The Outlet Barn, considered one of the early trendsetters for factory outlet shopping, lasted about a quarter-century, long after the dress factory closed and was replaced years later upstairs by Donna Emerson's Dance Studio and an exercise facility and an artist's studio. When the Outlet Barn closed down, the first floor hosted an auction house for several years. It was was vacant for a long time afterward before its extensive rehabilitation into River Street Plaza beginning last year.)
Warrensburg leader dies
Impressive funeral services were held In Warrensburg for Wyman D. Pasco, a local bank official, businessman and notable civic leader who died April 2, 1959 in West Palm Beach, Fla. The funeral was one of the largest the town has ever seen. At the Orton and McCloskey Funeral Home, his funeral was attended by many friends and representatives of nearly every governmental and civic body in the area. Presiding was the Rev. William E. Montgomery.