(Note...Joseph Walsh, according to his gravestone, "Fell before Petersburgh," in Virginia at the last battle of the Civil War, before the Confederates retreated to surrender at Appomattox Court House. His decomposed body finally arrived back home by train and he is buried, with his family around him, in the Pendell Cemetery, in the heart of Athol, across from the town museum.)
Family man dies ready for the knife
Thomas Curran, 40, a former resident of North Creek, died in New York City. Mr. Curran was taken to a hospital to undergo an operation for appendicitis. When he was placed on the operating table the surgeon said he was already near death with pneumonia and refused to operate. Death ensued before he was taken from the table. A widow and six young children survive.
Area horseman dominates Lake George racing
M.B. Riddell, the well known Luzerne horseman, has traded his bay gelding "Bert R." for "Nutwood Boy," a green horse owned by Gloversville parties. Bert R. is well known by local horsemen, and during the winter has taken first money in three local Lake George races, losing but one heat in four events.
Phonograph music played at gathering
Phoebe Leavitt had an enjoyable social gathering at her pleasant home in Riparius. A bountiful New England supper was served and donated oranges and popcorn were offered for sale. Thirty-six dollars was realized to apply to the salary of the Rev. Mr. Abbott, of Chestertown. Music was furnished by Miss May, of Chestertown and Miss Rheinlander, of Glens Falls, also by Mrs. Leavitt's phonograph.
Bonnie Brae Villa owner dies
John Luce Russell, 72, died April 8, 1909 of arterial sclerosis (heart trouble) at his residence, 87 First Street, Troy. John Russell was a native of Warrensburgh. In 1865 he returned home from the Civil War with a southern bride, Mary L. Denison and built a magnificent summer home for her, known as Bonnie Brae Villa. He raised Morgan draft horses. (Note: In later years the house was known as Chalet Swiss, a former boarding house and restaurant. It was located next to the mountain, behind the present day Warrensburg Post Office. It burned March 13, 1980.)