Quantcast

Post offices support food shelf

To the editor: Once again, the post offices in Elizabethtown, Lewis and New Russia have just concluded their fall food drive. A total of over 250 pounds of food was generously given by the local citizens to the Community Food Shelf located in the Parish Hall of the Church of the Good Sheperd. It should be known that last year we distributed about 10,000 pounds of food and of that, approximately 25 percent was donated by local citizens, area farms and businesses. The remaining 75 percent is purchased through the Regional Food Bank of Northeastern New York, using private donations and grant monies. Also, there are some 30 volunteers associated with local churches who give of their time to the Food Shelf to maintain its operation. Due to the generous donation of both food and time by our volunteers, we continue to be able to serve about 80 people a month a substantial increase from a year ago. Much attention and effort has been focused on keeping our neighbors warm this winter. The Food Shelf will continue its dedication to providing emergency or supplemental food assistance to our neighbors as well. We truly and deeply appreciate the coordination efforts by the Postmasters, George, Audrey and Margaret in making this drive a succesful one and to the kindness of each one of you who donated to the food drive. Terry Martin and Marilyn Jordan, Community Food Shel

0
Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment