Quantcast

A home with history

WEVERTOWN Atop McCarthy Mountain there is a stone marker that designates the site of the log cabin home of William and Isabella Little Kays. They came to this country from Ireland in 1851 and settled here. They had five children, John, Robert, Richard Bessie and Margaret. At the time they immigrated, Bessie was 27 years of age, married to Andrew Braydon and the mother of a child. Around 1880 Andrew Braydon tore down the old Dutch Reformed Church which stood near the Wevertown Cemetery on Route 28, north of town. It had been the first church in the Town of Johnsburg, erected in 1822. The lumber was used to build a home on Harrington Road. The Braydons moved to Glens Falls and the next owner of the house was Jonathan Olden and his wife Prudentia. Mr. Olden died in 1925. The third owners were Cecil & Venelia Waddell. Cecil farmed the land and Venelia, a well-known seamstress, made dresses for the women and girls in the North Creek area. She died in 1967. The next owners were Jim & Cynthia Hallihan who lived in the house for about five years. Jim had a dream to build his own store and home on vacant land on Route 28 next to the Wevertown Hall. He used the proceeds of the sale of the Harrington Road house to build that dream. The present owners, Bill and Jan Nickerson purchased the home from the Hallihans in 1972. They used it as a vacation home for five years and then rented it to local people until 1999 when they retired to Wevertown. Upon learning the history, they decided to name the home after its original builder. If anyone has anything further to add to this story, memories, etc., please contact slvrgrljan@gmail.com.

0
Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment