Don't get stuck at the border

Welcome to the post-911 world where the strict rule of travel security is king. In this opening decade of the 21st centuryfrom international airports to border crossingsAmerican citizens are learning to endure long lines while experiencing the zen of patience. Now the U.S. Government has announced that beginning Jan. 31, all land and sea travelers to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean must carry a government-issued photo ID and proof of U.S. citizenship. These documents are needed to both enter and leave the U.S. If travellers don't have a passport with them on and after Jan. 31, they will need to have another form of proof of citizenship (original birth certificate or naturalization certificate are acceptable). In addition, all travelers, age 19 and over, are also required to carry a government-issued photo ID. According to a news release issued by the office of the Northern New England AAA (American Automobile Association), a smaller, less expensive version of the traditional passport, called a U.S. Passport Card, will be available to American citizens to use in 2009. The card can be used in place of a passport and will cost less. However, the passport card will have limited useit will only be good for land and sea travel to nations adjacent to the U.S.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment