The State Police at New Haven, joined by fami

The State Police at New Haven, joined by family, friends, colleagues and State Police command staff celebrated the retirement of three members recently. It is rare for three employees to retire at the same time. Vicki Smith started in 1971 and served her entire career in Middlebury\New Haven. For many of those years she was an Emergency Communications Dispatcher, a difficult and demanding job that included working nights, midnights, holidays, weekends and in all weather. She usually worked alone and was responsible for dispatching not only the state Police, but local officers and game wardens. The job also involved typing, filing and other administrative support. When dispatch services were consolidated, Smith remained at Middlebury as the office manager. In that role she provided all administrative support, trained three different clerks and was essential to the efficient running of the Station. In 2006, she was instrumental in relocating to the New Haven Station. Smith was known for generously sharing the bounty of her kitchen, often bringing in baked goods for the troopers. She has also long been active as a volunteer at the Flynn Center in Burlington. John Himmelsbach, a graduate of Champlain College, joined the state police as a Trooper in 1978. In 2000, Himmelsbach was promoted to sergeant, patrol commander and assigned to Middlebury. He finished his career there, where he was highly regarded by his supervisors, peers and subordinates. Himmelsbach was a member of many state police hiring panels and the State Police Advisory Committee's Subcommittee on Women in the State Police. In spite of serious injury sustained when a motorist struck his cruiser in 2004,Himmelsbach returned to duty as soon as he could and continued in his important supervisory role. He is a recipient of the VSP Col. John Sinclair 6X6 Award for outstanding physical fitness. Thomas Noble, a graduate of Vermont College, joined the State Police as a Trooper in 1977. He was initially assigned to Middlesex, where he worked both "I" Patrol and "K" Troop before being transferred to Middlebury. He later transferred to Bethel Station where he served until 1985, when he was promoted to Sergeant, Patrol Commander and returned to Middlebury. Sgt. Noble was a member of the State Police Hostage Negotiation Unit and served 19 years as adjunct faculty, instructing at the Vermont Police Academy. In 2000 he was one of the first eight recipients of the Sinclair fitness award and was administratively promoted to Senior Sergeant. In 2004, Noble was promoted to lieutenant/station commander at Middlebury and finished his career after the move to the New Haven Station.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment