Quantcast

Miner Farm Road home is saved from early morning blaze

CHAZY January was a busy month for the Chazy Volunteer Fire Department as two separate residences were involved in potentially catastrophic structure fires. However, good training, good timing and good luck have been credited for allowing firefighters to prevail with both homes saved. Most recently, firefighters responded to an early morning fire at the Wolfe residence on Miner Farm Road Jan. 30. According to homeowner Bethany Wolfe, the fire was discovered by her husband. As she evacuated with eight of her children who were home at the time and called 911, her husband, Jamie, ran back into the house to try to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher, a move not advised by Chazy Fire Chief Mike Cahoon. Make sure everyone gets out and let us do our thing, he recommended. Firefighters from Chazy, West Chazy, Rescue Hose No. 5 and Clinton County Car No. 4 responded quickly to find that fire had spread from a faulty chimney in the basement to a first floor living area. High winds along with the age and construction of the structure made the fire potentially disastrous. The older two-story structure is constructed in balloon framing, an outdated style that can allow fire to quickly and easily travel from floor to floor throughout a structure. However, quick response time, coupled with the departments intensive training, allowed them to knock down the fire within 30 minutes. We usually dont get that lucky, claimed Chief Cahoon. Everything worked in our favor. Although the home was saved, the house suffered smoke and water damage, particularly to the first floor. The Wolfes' insurance company has put damage estimates at $30,000. The couple has moved to a Plattsburgh apartment with their five youngest children until repairs can be completed. A home on Lakeshore Road was also saved when fire erupted in another early morning fire Jan. 4. Firefighters from Chazy, West Chazy, Beekmantown and Rescue Hose No. 5 responded at approximately 7 a.m., but were able to quickly control the blaze. A faulty chimney is believed to be responsible for starting that fire.

0
Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment