Motorists reminded to drive slowly, watch for snow plows
ALBANY - The New York State Department of Transportation reminds motorists and pedestrians to travel safely during the winter season. Some of the most important tips for safe winter driving include the following:
• Never follow a snow plow too closely or attempt to pass one. Remember the highway ahead of the plow is usually snow covered.
• Adjust speed for road conditions and maintain a safe distance from other vehicles.
• Assume bridge surfaces are slippery, as they freeze more quickly than road surfaces.
• Have a cell phone handy, if possible, but remember, state law requires it be used with a hands-free device if talking while driving.
• Never venture from your vehicle if snowbound.
• Equip your car with emergency supplies, including water, shovel, flares, booster cables, rope, ice scraper, portable radio, flashlight and extra warm clothes.
• Inform a responsible person of your destination, intended route and estimated time of arrival.
• Keep calm and do not panic in case of a vehicle breakdown, accident or if you become snowbound.
• Schedule extra time for winter travel and be patient during ice and snow removal operations.