More outdoor fun for qualifying seniors

Senior citizens age 62 and older have several programs available to them, with this weeks column citing two examples. Golden Park Program If you are a New York State resident age 62 or older, on any weekday except holidays you can obtain free vehicle access to state parks and arboretums, reduced fees to state historic sites, reduced fees for state-operated swimming, golf, tennis and boat rental, simply by presenting your current valid New York State Drivers License or New York State Non-Drivers Identification Card. A New York State Drivers License or a New York State Non-Drivers Identification Card may be obtained from your local Department of Motor Vehicles office. You may want to contact them first to be certain you bring the required forms of identification, age, etc. For information about facilities where this program is valid, contact the nearest state park or call the state park regional office at 474-0456. America the Beautiful Formerly known as the Golden Age Passport, the America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass allows many people to enjoy traveling, camping, and site seeing at our national parks and recreation areas. What better sites to see than our national parks and recreational areas? The lifetime senior pass is for U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or older. The senior pass provides access to, and use of, federal recreation sites that charge an entrance or standard amenity. The senior pass admits the pass holder and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder plus three adults, not to exceed four adults, at per person fee areas. Children younger than 16 years of age are admitted free. The senior pass, which can only be obtained in person at the park, provides a 50-percent discount on some expanded amenity fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases, where expanded amenity fees are charged, only the pass holder will be given the 50-percent price reduction. The senior pass is non-transferable and generally does not cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires. An America the Beautiful senior pass can be obtained at any national park, recreational area, or monument where an entrance fee is charged and at forestry ranger stations. You must show proof of age such as a drivers license, birth certificate, or similar document. There is a $10 processing charge to obtain the senior pass. The Senior Connection is a column provided by the Clinton County Office for the Aging. For more information about services for senior citizens, contact their office at 135 Margaret St., Suite 105, Plattsburgh, or call them at 565-4620.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment