Quantcast

Minerva Historical Society Accepts Adirondack Architectural Heritage Award

DIAMOND POINT Thirteen years ago, the Minerva Historical Society sought to acquire the one-room Irishtown School House with the intent of restoring it to preserve its historical value for future generations. Those efforts were recognized last week at the Adirondack Architectural Heritage Awards Luncheon at the Lake George Club in Diamond Point when the Minerva Historical Society accepted an award for its efforts. Located in the Town of Minerva, the Irishtown Schoolhouse was originally a log structure built around 1840 as a one-room schoolhouse. In 1860, the building was replaced with the current one-room structure, which was used as part of School District No. 4 for many years. At least 30 different teachers were employed through District No. 4, although there was only one teacher at the Irishtown Schoolhouse in any given year. In 1994, the Minerva Historical Society sought to acquire the Schoolhouse from the estate of Grace Brannon which donated the property and building to the Minerva Historical Society to ensure its preservation and educational value for the community. Once acquired by the Society, a committee was formed for the restoration project and fundraising began. The committee consisted of Martha Galusha, Chairperson; Gerald Galusha, Norman Persons and John Paradis. In accepting the award on behalf of the Minerva Historical Society, John Paradis cited the numerous dedicated volunteers and local contractors who lent their time and talents to assist in the restoration. The project exemplifies the important role volunteerism and working together can play in restoration and preservation work, added Steven Engelhart, the Adirondack Architectural Heritage executive director,. The award was one of seven presented this year by Adirondack Architectural Heritage (AARCH) to groups and individuals whose work represents examples of long-term stewardship and committed preservation practices including sensitivity to the original function and period of a structure. Attending the award ceremony from the Minerva Historical Society were Wanda Callihan, Martha and Jerry Galusha, Teresa Haley, Nellie Halloran, Sandy and Frank Labar, David McNally, Shirley McNally, Fran and John Paradis, Nancy Shaw. In celebration of receiving the award, the Minerva Historical Society will host an open house at the Irishtown Schoolhouse on Saturday, Oct. 20, from 1 to 3 p.m. The Society invites all to attend the open house in Irishtown to view the renovations of the building and the award as well as to enjoy complementary light refreshments.

0
Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment