CHIMNEY POINT TAVERN
Jacobus de Warm of Albany, New York, established a short-lived outpost here in 1690. In 1730 the French rebuilt it, renaming it Fort de Pieux. By 1759 it was deserted. 250 years later, only cellar holes and rubble are said to remain. Also located here is the Chimney Point Tavern, an 18th Century tavern that today acts as the interpretive center for the site. It is located just off Route 17, eight miles southwest of Addison, at the south end of Lake Champlain, where the Champlain Bridge crosses to New York
FORT STE. ANNE
This old French fort was located on West Shore Road, three miles north of the village of Isle la Motte, on Isle La Motte (island), in the northwest corner of Lake Champlain. It was built in 1666 for protection against the Mohawk Indians. A small settlement grew up around the fort, and in 1670 the fort and town were burned by the Mohawks.
All that remains of this old agricultural/charcoal town on the Appalachian Trail, ten miles northeast of Bennington, are cellar holes and rubble. At one time there was a hotel, charcoal kilns and a railroad line (1872-1898). Glastenbury was established in 1761, but growth was slow. In 1840 only 53 people were counted in the census, and by 1880 it peaked at 241. By the early 1930s it was abandoned. In 1937 the town was officially declared unorganized.
All traces of this Vermont town have apparently been lost. Historians have attempted to locate records about the town with no luck.
This old farming community is located in a marshy area south of Harvey Lake, two miles south of West Barnet, about 15 miles southwest of St. Johnsbury, east of Montpelier. All that remains is overgrown cellar holes and rubble.