Late night fire destroys Anchorage restaurant

ROUSES POINT A popular Lake Street restaurant is in ruins following a late night fire last Sunday. Firefighters from nine departments responded to the blaze that broke out at the Anchorage restaurant at approximately 11 p.m. Rouse Point Fire Department Chief Michael LeBlanc reported the business had closed for the evening at about 10:30 p.m., roughly one half-hour before the fire was reported. No one was inside the building at the time firefighters arrived on scene. There were flames on the southern side of the building at that time, coming from the basement, recalled Chief LeBlanc. The fire originating in the basement made the blaze harder for firefighters to battle, which was only further hindered when the first floor collapsed, said Chief LeBlanc. Thats where the biggest challenge was, the chief said. Crews remained on scene through the night until 7:35 a.m., said Chief LeBlanc. The fire rekindled at approximately 10:45 a.m. Monday, leading crews to return to extinguish the fire again. The structure is a total loss, said Chief LeBlanc. As of Tuesday morning, the cause of the fire was still under investigation by the countys Cause and Origin Team. This is the second reported fire at the Anchorage. The first was in 1990 when the business was owned by Scott and Marlaine Bosley. According to Mrs. Bosley, that fire was electrical in nature and also started in the basement. The original 1895 building was rebuilt and reopened the following year. We put a lot of work into that building. This is devastating, Mrs. Bosley said of the recent fire. The Bosleys sold the building to Shailesh Patel in August 2006 as part of a three-parcel sale that included the adjoining Anchorage Hotel. The assessed value of the restaurant alone in 2006 was $250,000. Mr. Patel could not be reached for comment or to confirm reports the building was insured or will be rebuilt. In addition to the Rouses Point department, firefighters from Beekmantown, Champlain, Chazy, Mooers, Rescue Hose 5, Alburgh and Isle La Motte from Vermont, and St. Paul and Lacolle from Quebec responded to the scene. Firefighters from Hemmingford, Quebec, were on standby at the Champlain fire station. One firefighter was treated for smoke inhalation and returned to the scene.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment