Quantcast

Restaurant owner sees good fortune amid the flames

OLMSTEDVILLE Call it the luck of the Irish or divine intervention, but Scott Morrison said hes feeling fortunate in the wake of a fire that destroyed the kitchen of The Lucky Leprechaun, his popular Olmstedville eatery on Monday.

It could have been a lot worse, Morrison said. Nobody got hurt and they saved the building. So we feel very fortunate about that.

Fire investigators believe the fire started at about 10 a.m. in the kitchen area of the restaurant. The restaurant was not open and nobody was in the 150-year-old building. Though the kitchen is a mess and the building suffered smoke and water damage, Morrison said he expects to be back in business within a month.

Morrison credited the quick response of the Minerva Volunteer Fire Department.

I cant thank them enough, he said.

The Minerva squad was assisted by firefighters from Schroon Lake, Chestertown, North Creek and Pottersville.

They all got there really fast and that was the difference, he added.

Investigators believe that the fire started in some rags that were in a pot on the stove.

They said it was spontaneous combustion, Morrison said. Its very odd. They thought it was electrical at first because of all the smoke.

Morrison said he and his wife Teresa left early Monday for some appointments out of town and returned in the evening to find the devastation.

It was a shock, Morrison said. We couldnt believe it.

But Morrison said hes determined to pull things together and reopen soon.

The good news is the building is saved and nobody is hurt. We were lucky we were out at the time, Morrison said. The bad news is its the height of our busy season. But I hope we can get it together within a month. Well make the best of a bad situation.

0
Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment