On the month with all the holidays, I like to give some clues,
So everyone stays safe,
And you dont sing the holiday blues!
(To the tune of The 12 Days of Christmas)
Yes, its the holiday season, and what better gift can I give you than a few simple reminders about how to stay healthy and safe?
If you have a tree, make sure its secured, so it doesnt tip over. Keep it away from floor heaters, fireplaces or other heat sources, and inspect your light strands to replace blown bulbs or damaged wires. Never link more than three strands of lights together, and keep smaller ornaments high in the tree, so children and pets dont try to eat them. If you have an artificial tree, make sure it is fire-resistant, and never use electric lights on a metallic tree; they cold cause a shock to anyone who touches it.
Turn off all the lights and blow out any candles before you leave the house or go to bed for the night. Make sure that all your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are working and that your fire extinguishers are current and full.
December is the month with the highest number of accidental house fires started by candles. If there are children in the home, avoid candles altogether, or, at the very least, keep them out of reach.
Most holiday plants are safe, but remember that eating mistletoe or holly berries in excess can be dangerous. If your child does snack on a holiday plant, call the Northern New England Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222.
And dont forget-- if you host a holiday party in your home, make sure you clean up as soon as the partys over, so your children don't come downstairs in the morning and find alcoholic drinks or small snack foods that can be choking hazards.
To wrap up these safety tips
(to the tune of I Have a Little Dreydel)
I hope that with this safety knowledge
You wont flip your lids.
This is Dr. Lewis First,
Hoping youll be first with kids!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS, EVERYONE!