Quantcast

Moriah Corners welcomes location placard

MORIAH CORNERS Moriah Corners has a new sign to welcome visitors to the hamlet. The sign was erected by the town of Moriah beautification committee as part of its efforts to mark the town bicentennial in 2008. Moriah Corners was the first settlement in the town of Moriah, which has a village and four hamlets Moriah Corners, Moriah, Mineville, Witherbee and Port Henry explained Joan Daby, town historian. Moriah Corners was settled in 1793. This is where it all started, Daby said. The Moriah Corners sign is slightly smaller than other signs erected by the beautification committee. Thats because of space limitations at the site, explained Barb Brassard. Moriah traces its history to the 18th Century. After the Treaty of 1763, soldiers were given land by King George for their service in the French and Indian War. Iron ore was discovered in those lands, lumber and gristmills sprang up, farms started, furnaces were built, and the shipping of ore started, first by water, then by railroad. The town of Moriah was officially formed in 1808. Many families came to work in the iron ore mining industry, which flourished from around 1824-1971. Mines were privately owned, then became the property of Witherbee-Sherman & Co., and finally in 1938 the Republic Steel Corporation. In the late 1800s and early 1900s most of the large hotels, homes, churches and schools were built, many still existing today. Plans are being made for a Moriah bicentennial celebration to be held April 26, 2008, at Moriah Central School. There will be a program with local officials followed by a reception.

0
Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment